Thursday, March 21, 2013

A day of preparations


A day of preparations   ...   Thursday 21st March, 2013

We hardly realized that it was the first day of spring.  We were just too busy getting ready to set off tomorrow.  This morning, we filled up the diesel tanks using the jerry cans.  Then we pumped the bilge, replaced one of the fuel separators, filled the water tanks and did a last load of laundry.  Our reward was lunch at the Grand Isles restaurant.  The afternoon was more relaxed.  Mike took out his “super-big” lens and went off taking photos.

I saw the turtle near our boat and went to get my camera.  Of course, by the time I got back outside to take a photo, the turtle was gone.  I wandered around the marina, peering down into the water to see fish.  To my surprise there are actually quite a few fish hiding under the docks.  My efforts were rewarded by the reappearance of the turtle.  The photos aren’t great but…

Watching the fish from the dock seemed a bit like snorkeling without getting wet.  I’d like to say that the only difference was that I didn’t see as well.  The reality of snorkeling has been that I don’t see much of anything because I don’t have a mask with a prescription in it.  That’s all about to change. Rod was kind enough to leave me his prescription mask.  I’m looking forward to seeing better the next time we go swimming. 

Tomorrow we set off on our northward travels.  Our plan is to take some time to explore the Exumas as we go.  Then we need to figure out a route back to Florida.  We are hoping that the weather will start to settle down with less frequent and less powerful fronts.  Let's hope the European model is wrong...

Gloria


Hawksbill Turtle _ Emerald Bay Marina ... Gloria's photo



Green Heron with dragonfly


 Green Heron - portrait


1 comment: