Saturday, April 13, 2013

Strange Noises


Strange Noises   … Saturday 13 April 2013

It's now about 8.30 pm, the sun has set and it's pretty much dark. Gloria and I are frantically trying to figure out what is making the irritating clicking sound that we are listening to. We've checked all the obvious things, such as loose halyards or the "Dumb Dog' bumping into the side, but we haven't even been able to pin down where the noise is coming from. If it weren't for the fact that we can both hear it I would simply say I was losing my mind. One possibility that we have experienced before is the noise of shrimp feeding on the vegetation growing on the bottom of the boat. Believe it or not, these little critters can make a lot of noise! Our day didn't start out too well as we had to spend a couple of hours working on our tax returns. Do you think they could make it any more complicated? I mean seriously, I don't object to paying my fair share of taxes - I do object to wasting so much time trying to compile the information. Isn't it about time they got around to doing something useful like reforming the tax code and making it simpler? As you can see it really pisses me off! Anyway the day improved once we posted our application for an extension and had some lunch at the local brew pub. On the way back we got chatting to a very nice lady, Phyllis Fekula, who was doing book signings for her recently published book "The invitation of the Ocean". The book appears to be based on the idea that mermaids are women who have been hurt or who have suffered and take to the ocean to escape into oblivion. This isn't the sort of theme I would normally go for, but Phyllis was such an engaging personality that we decided to buy her book and see what it's like. Later this afternoon I was feeling restless so I walked the 5 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket. I figure it's good to get some exercise after so long sitting on my butt. This evening we are going to have  quiet night and start watching the second series of "The Wire". 

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment