Saturday, April 27, 2013

Return to the floating life


Return to the floating life—27 April 2013

I got back to the boat last night at about seven pm.  It seemed soothing to be back on the water but also somewhat strange.  It’s easy to forget that you are afloat until the wake of a passing boat sets the hull into motion. 

As for the trip to Maine, I would pick the first week of the FAA sequesters to travel.  The trip to Portland was pure torture.  I think I spent five hours in the Charleston airport before take off.  I arrived at the rental counter in the Portland airport at 7:30 pm, facing a two-hour drive. Mike and I had specifically picked flights that would put me at my folks’ house before they retired for the evening.  You just never know about that air travel. Happily the trip back was less ghastly, only about an hour late.  It was great to see my sister and my parents.  The situation with my parents isn’t good and can’t be easily resolved.  For now it’s just ‘wait and see’. 

Today we peeled off the masking tape after the heroic varnishing feats that Mike achieved while I was away.  I started on removing the tape residue with the ‘Goo Gone’.  After a couple of hours, even though I had only de-gooed part of the starboard side, I needed a break.  We went to shore for lunch (way too much).

After lunch visited the art gallery at College of Charleston.  That was interesting.  There were a few pieces that we liked.  We watched a couple of videos.  One of these was about food/eating and was so revolting that I had to cover my eyes.  Continuing our afternoon of art we walked to the art gallery district and looked at more art.  We saw all kinds of things: huge fish made of glass, paintings of all kinds and some photos. Some things we liked and some things would make us flinch. The range of prices was very large.  Some of the pieces that we liked were quiet reasonable.  Some other stuff had staggering price tags.  It’s hard to imagine that they sell many of the paintings for $88K.  Our only purchases were coffee and ibuprofen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment