Saturday, February 20, 2021

Modern Communication

Modern Communication

Saturday 20th February 2021

I remember as a teenager going away to Europe with friends and every now and again searching for a phone box so I could phone home and let my parents know I was safe. If all worked out well I’d be piling coins into the slot just to get a few seconds to reassure my family I was alive and well. Fast forward a few decades and I can now pick up my iPhone and call or text my family over in the UK anytime for no extra cost over my regular cellphone service agreement. I’ve become a big fan of “WhatsApp” and get to talk to my brother Martin and sister Ali on a regular basis. This evening we were able to spend an hour on a Zoom video call catching up our friends Lynn and Lee who are spending the winter down in Mexico. It’s really just inertia that stops me communicating more with friends and family.

We do have a satellite phone on board, although we don’t currently have a service contract or any pre-paid time, because we simply don't have a great need for it whilst we are close to land. When we head down to the Dry Tortugas next week we will be out of cell phone coverage and essentially out of contact until we get back to mainland USA. As we are so accustomed to instantly accessible communication I think this is going to feel really weird. I should say that we still expect to be able to get marine weather forecasts on VHF radio and we also get the NOAA forecasts via satellite downloaded direct to our chart plotter as part of a Sirius Radio marine package. It is amazing to think what you can do now compared to even ten years ago.

Mike

24 42.220 N, 81 06.131 W




Colorful "Coconut fish" - for sale at Mallory Square, Key West


Colorful "Cats" ... or "Dog Chews" as I like to think of them. Oops done it again !


Shutters ona fake old building in Mallory Square


3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, as you keep making these comments about cats, it makes me suspicious that perhaps you must miss your sweet kitties😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Shiela you are too clever - you got me! We have noticed when we are on the boat that we are drawn to other peoples pets, but it seems more common for boaters to have dogs. I grew up with a dog so I like meeting them ... and I do love teasing my friends and family about cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pets, including both cats and dogs, do lower stress and they are fun to meet! I miss my cats, and I have enjoyed seeing your cat photos! And you do have a great sense of humor Mike!

    ReplyDelete