Thursday, August 27, 2020

Is this Delaware Bay again?

Is this Delaware Bay again?

Thursday August 27th, 2020

 

The chart called it Jericho bay but it seemed more like Delaware Bay to me (an area we have complained about bitterly in the past).  The forecast was predicting west winds 10-15 mph with gusts to 20.  We thought this sounded more promising than yesterday’s forecast, so we set off.  The white lobster floats matched beautifully with the abundant white caps, making for a white-knuckle voyage.  As we proceeded across the bay the waves became larger (more fetch), the pots became more numerous and the winds accelerated.  As we approached the red bell buoy at the start of the York narrows, the pots were so thick it was hard to believe.  Even the twisting passage of the narrows was laced with pot floats. Holy cow!  It may only have been about 10 nautical miles but it felt like more.

 

In the past we have often thought that the marine forecasts exaggerate the likely wind velocity.  Today, I would have been happy to have that.  Instead, I saw 26kts on the wind instrument. If today’s weather really was better than Wednesday’s, I am very grateful that we decided not to travel far yesterday.

 

We are anchored behind an island called Opechee Island.  Currently there is only one other vessel in the anchorage, which is tucked between Black Island, Pond Island and Sheep Island.  Mike took a dinghy ride ashore to sheep island and walked around the outside. He said it was beautiful. I stayed aboard and polished the stainless steel!

 

Gloria

 

44 12.583 N, 68 27.753 W




The "Dumb Dog" on the shore of Sheep Island - I landed on the beach then tied off on the rocks (I didn't want to lose my ride back to the rising tide!)


Macro shots on the beach - mussel shell



Macro shots on the beach - yellow snail



Macro shots on the beach - crab claw

 



 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gloria, I hope you brought some quilting project with you do you can do something more fun than polishing silverware! Wishing safe sails to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila, Great to hear from you! I do have projects but I need a whole day to make it worth dragging out the sewing machine and all the rest. The stainless steel I was polishing was on the boat--railings and window frames--not the silverware! I've got more sense than that! Hope the semester starts well for you! Gloria

    ReplyDelete