Monday, September 24, 2012

Farewells are not so fun


Farewells are not so fun   ....    Monday September 24, 2012

Sunday morning we did laundry. Then we set up the inner forestay and attached the running back stays.  My sister-in-law Sue and brother Rod dropped by to take some measurements for the new hatchboard holder. (I feel badly because I think I guilted  Rod into doing this. I’m know he has lots of other projects to be working on… ) He gave us the benefit of his experience and knowledge around the use of running back stays. So now we think we have some idea how we would go about flying the staysail.  This would be used in so called ‘heavy weather’—big winds and seas.  There’s a delightful prospect.  I’m hoping that sail stays in the bag!

We spent a great evening with our friends Laura, Steve and Daniel.  The plan was to enjoy dinner and then the Patriots game vs. Baltimore.  Dinner was great and I guess you could say the game was exciting but the outcome…. Oddly, every time we have watched a game with Laura and Steve, the Pats have lost.  I’m predicting that the season will turn around for them this weekend.

Yes, this does mean that the departure date draws near.  Weather permitting we will be leaving on Friday morning. The jobs list is dwindling rapidly.  From two pages of entries in the notebook we are now down to a handful of things to complete.  There is a big provisioning trip to come.  The shopping part will be straightforward.  The stowing part is bound to be more challenging.

Most likely the toughest task will be all the goodbyes.  We already said farewell to quite a number of friends. With luck I’ll get though this without a total melt down.  People keep asking me what I’m looking forward to most.  Right now it seems like there are just lots of things to worry about.  What were we thinking when we decided to do this?

Gloria


Rusty Fortress anchor - East Greenwich


Painted Lock - East Greenwich


"Jasper" an 8 month old our Husky belonging to Capt. Dan Murphy, one of the EGYC launch drivers



Husky eyes






No comments:

Post a Comment