Tuesday, September 11, 2012

An unexpected visitor


An unexpected visitor   ... Tuesday 11 September 2012

We set off this morning from Biddeford Pool after a somewhat bumpy night.  The route out of the harbor was pretty exciting.  There are shallow ledges on either side and the residual swell was pushing breaking waves over these rocks.  That will get you to pay attention to the navigation.  Once out into deeper water we tried to sail but there was hardly any wind.  So much for the forecast of 15-20 knots of wind from the northwest!  We motored on keeping an eye out for pots. Suddenly there was a fluttering and something vanished down the companionway.  I said to Mike that a bird had flown into the cabin. He thought it must have been a butterfly.  In truth we have had a number of butterflies and other insects land on the boat when we are quite a long way from shore.  I went into the boat to investigate.  At first I found nothing.  Once I got into the v-berth at the front of the boat, I found a red-breasted nuthatch perched on Mike’s camera bag.  I tried to grab it to carry it out of the boat but it flew off into the head.  Then out it came nearly flying into me.  I managed to shoo it toward the back of the boat, closing the door to the v-berth. The poor little thing flew up to the hatch but couldn’t get out.  Then it flew to the window.  Once again I tried to grab it with no success. At one point it was perched on our little net fruit hammock like some exotic treat.  Finally it flew into the aft cabin and I managed to throw the tea towel over it.  I picked it up and carefully carried it outside.  Placing the towel down onto the deck I lifted up one side. Out flew the bird, straight at me.  For a second it seemed like it was going to fly back into the boat but finally off it went.  Maybe we will have to break out a clean tea towel.
We made it to Isle of Shoals harbor just after 2pm and had a quiet afternoon, a lovely dinner (chicken in wine and caper sauce) and a beautiful sunset.



Canada Goose - taking off on Smuttynose Island (Isle of Shoals)


Feather in a mossy pond


Last light over the cottages on Cedar Island (Isle of Shoals)



Sunset in Gossport Harbor (Isle of Shoals)

No comments:

Post a Comment