Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Between a rock and a Tugboat


Between a rock and a Tugboat   … Wednesday Sept 12th 

Tonight I want to talk about my Verizon "Jetpack" - which right now I'm pretty impressed with, but last night I was ready to pitch overboard.  This little WiFi gizmo is the size of a cell phone and, when working well, lets us connect our computers via the Verizon network to the internet. For those of you who looked at our blog entry for yesterday ("An unexpected Visitor") you may have noticed there were no photos. (Laura - got your message!). This was not because we didn't have any to post nor because I didn't try to get them uploaded. The truth is I spent a very frustrating hour last night trying to get through the process but it seemed like the Verizon Wireless coverage was so intermittent that I kept getting hung up half way through. The "Jetpack" would search, say it was 3G ready with reasonable connection, even at times say it was 4G ready, then spontaneously disconnect or tell me my computer was dormant (not so!). I was literally banging my head on the nav station table and just had to give up! This evening we are down in Duxbury, Mass and the reception must be much better. I can connect to the internet and do email really easily, and yes, there are now photos uploaded.
To change subject completely, I do want to say how great Gloria is at tuning and steering the boat in light winds. Today we headed out of Gossport Harbor (Isle of Shoals) just after 6am to make the 60 mile journey to Duxbury. We managed to get an hour of sailing this morning in light west winds but spent several hours motoring through glassy seas. However, at about 2pm the wind picked up from the south east and Gloria managed to coax the boat to ever greater speeds as the intensity built, and we ended up having a great couple of hours. At one one point whilst trying to avoid a rock marked on the chart, a large ocean going tug closed in on us from behind and overtook, threatening to limit our maneuverability and prompting Gloria to comment that she felt between "a rock and a … tugboat". As my mum used to say (and probably still does) - "if wit were shit you'd be constipated". We arrived at Duxbury at about 4.30pm, tired but satisfied having completed our second longest days sailing. We are now well placed to pick up the westwards ebb through the Cape Cod Canal tomorrow morning.

Mike


Isle of Shoals Light House - early morning


Sport fishermen heading out at sunrise


The Boston Skyline (as we saw it!) - look carefully and note glassy seas and the visible layer of smog, evident as soon as we passed Gloucester



Gloria's tugboat



1 comment:

  1. Heh Mike I'm sure it was actually Dad that used to say that and Mum who tried endlessly and tirelessly to explain it to me. At that age I didn't know that wit was wit and thought it was Whit (prob something to do with the time of year this saying initially was told me!!) Anyway I think I was well into adulthood before the penny dropped. I don't know about penny dropping - think I need a great big mallet. I also always had problems when Auntie Margaret used to say - Oh you have been in the walls!!!! Why or indeed how in the walls I used to ponder. Again I'd well reached adulthood again when I realized it was "wars". Aren't you proud of your clever sister!!!! Lots of love to you both - adventure looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete