Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dinghy excitement


Dinghy excitement   ....   Saturday 1st September 2012

Some evenings I feel that I have something to write about and some nights I find myself asking: “What happened today?”

The wind was from the north (cold) and strong this morning.  We took an exciting dinghy ride to Northeast Harbor.  The wind was whipping the water of Soames Sound into some decent waves and we were pounding into them.  I had such a tight grip on the rope handle of the dinghy (now known as the “big, dumb dog”) that my hand began to ache.  I started to say to Mike that we should turn back and take a bus…. We made it and had a nice walk around the town.  We found a little market/grocery that was better value than the one in Southwest Harbor.  The latter was without a doubt the most expensive place I have ever shopped.  It made “Wholefoods ” seem positively cheap!  If that is what re-provisioning is going to be like we are either going to be a lot thinner or run out of funds in a few months.

This morning I spoke to my sister who told me that my Mom and Dad want to come down to Southwest Harbor to see the boat.  This is planned for tomorrow, Sunday.  We are very excited but at the same time bracing ourselves for a change of plans.  My parents are 86 and 92 years old, so this is quite an undertaking.  If they aren’t feeling well tomorrow, it may not happen.  In preparation for this visit, Michael has been preparing a meal for lunch.  We have consulted the tide tables to make sure that the ramp down to the floating dock will not be too steep.  My sister has kindly agreed to do the driving.  It will also be her first trip (of many, we hope) to the boat.  Now it’s just ‘fingers crossed’.

Gloria

Lobster Boat and dinghy - Southwest Harbor


The Doris Mae - Southwest Harbor


Blue Lobster Pot


Mooring ball


Drain cover - Southwest Harbor

No comments:

Post a Comment