Thursday, December 10, 2020

Oooogh … I’ll have some of him!

Oooogh … I’ll have some of him!

Thursday 10th December 2020

Today’s sixty-mile passage along the coast went well. We were up at 4.30 am, raised the mainsail whilst on the mooring and set out shortly after 5 am in the dark. Once out of the St Mary’s inlet we turned south and with 10 knots of breeze from the west we had a couple of hours of fine sailing on a beam reach. Sadly the wind faded and even with our “code zero” gennaker deployed we couldn’t make decent speed, so for the following six hours we motor-sailed on glassy seas. We did see lots of gannets, terns, dolphins and a sea turtle. Following the directions of a local Tow Boat US captain, we came in through the St Augustine inlet with caution. It’s heavily shoaled and all but one of the navigational markers are missing. It’s certainly not a class-A inlet but we never saw any shallow water and we are now we anchored off the fort in St Augustine, Florida.

We spent several days here in December 2012, but until we saw a pirate ship go by, I had forgotten that they have pirate cruises. It brought back memories that I had taken a photo of one of these "pirates" here in St Augustine and showed it at an Art Exhibition in Sudbury the following year. It was one of several portraits in a slide show rolling on my computer screen that I was using to try and encourage potential customers to sign up to have their portraits taken. However, a delightful elderly lady took one look at the photo of the pirate and said “Oooogh … I’ll have some of him”! She then commissioned me to make a print of the pirate that I delivered to her home a few days later. I thought it was hilarious!

I realize that I am hardly taking any “people pictures” on this trip, which is a little bit me reverting to what is comfortable, but also because of Covid we aren’t interacting with many people. I should try harder!

Mike

29 53.954 N, 81 18.482 W


The "pirate" - 2012 photo


Following "Tiger Bay" as we start sailing south


"Tiger Bay" shortly before sunrise


Sunrise off Fernandina Beach


A charter sailing vessel just inside the St Augustine inlet - photographed from our anchorage


St Augustine at night. This photo does not do justice to how spectacular the city looks at sunset






2 comments:

  1. The pirate story is hysterical Mike! Great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila, thanks for the comments. We hope you are doing well and we'll try and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete