Tuesday, December 29, 2020

1.5 terabytes … Really!

1.5 terabytes … Really!

Tuesday 29th December 2020

The worst thing about our time at Vero Beach is how quickly it’s passing. It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here nine days and that we only have four days left before we move on. Today we did a little shopping, some boat jobs and had a fantastic late afternoon trip to the beach to watch the moonrise. 

You all know I take a lot of photos and with my new camera each of them is 8256 x 5504 pixels and ~ 55 MB. When I get to work in Photoshop, particularly if I’m creating panoramas the images can get to be > 1 GB in photoshop format. All of this takes up a lot of storage and I am completely hopeless at throwing away any of my files, so I’ve tried to adapt my work habits to store all the files on an external hard-drive that I also make a back-up copy every few weeks. I was a little shocked to realize that since we moved aboard Cotinga at the start of August I have used 1.5 TB of storage (and the same on the back-up disk). So this morning we made a trip out to Best Buy to get a coupe of new drives. It’s mazing that you can buy a 2 TB drive for about $65. 

Our major boat job today was to glue down the formica top that surrounds our fridge / freezer. It had started to lift off and was a bit unsightly. We used rapid set epoxy and the project went pretty well. Once this was done we headed down to the beach to meet up with Paul, Fran, Clark and Susan. Our plan was to watch the moon rise over the ocean but there was actually quite a lot of cloud so we thought we were going to be disappointed. However, we did see it emerge from the clouds on the horizon, glowing pink from the sunset, and it was a beautiful sight. In other times we would no doubt have gone out for dinner and / or drinks afterwards, but this is the Covid era so we all retreated to our respective homes. 

Mike

27 39.482 N, 80 22.215 W

the following photos are shown in the sequence they were taken during the day ...


Green Heron portrait


Girl playing in the surf (p.s. I did get her Dad's permission before taking this shot)


Royal Tern on Vero Beach


Steps Down to the Beach


Passed sunset at Vero Beach (looking east across the Gulf Stream)


Full moon over Vero Beach


Full moon over Vero Beach


Vero Beach in the moonlight








No comments:

Post a Comment