Monday, December 28, 2020

Green Herons, Water Lilies and Lego

Green Herons, Water Lilies and Lego

Sunday 28th December 2020

Over the last couple of days we’ve been trying to sort some financial things and in particular set up payments for both our health insurance plans. It turned out not to be too complicated but it had been weighing on Gloria’s mind. This morning we addressed our Sirius Marine weather subscription. We get marine forecasts (and radio) direct to our navigation system via a Sirius radio module. When I lost my wallet I cancelled all of my bankcards and I had forgotten to register a new card for that subscription.  Whilst working that problem I started to wonder when our real estate taxes needed to be paid only to find that they were due at the beginning of November and we are six weeks late. I had received an email reminder, flagged it and then forgotten all about it. I’m really looking forward to calling Sudbury town offices this morning. You might think it’s idyllic getting away from everything on the boat but there are still all the everyday problems that need to be addressed and it’s hard to stay on top of them. Wait till we get to do our tax filings – that usually gets my blood pressure up into stratospheric levels!

The day picked up after breakfast. I wandered along to the marina bathrooms and a little green heron was perched on a dock line in perfect position. Not only that, he even stayed there whilst I went back to get my camera. In the early afternoon Gloria and I headed over to the McKee Botanical gardens. It’s lovely to walk around there. I would also say it peaceful except at the minute they have a temporary Lego exhibition and it was surprisingly crowded with families with young children. Whilst a little skeptical at first, I have to say that the Lego models that were dotted around the gardens were impressive. Amongst the exhibits were a snow leopard, whooping crane, sea-turtle, dodo and butterfly. Each was 4-6 feet in size and comprised of 50,000-75,000 pieces and took 300-500 hours to make. The botanical gardens are near to Paul and Fran’s house so we went round later in the afternoon and spent a fine couple of hours chatting and setting the world straight. Plenty of problems … not so many solutions!

Mike

27 39.482 N, 80 22.215 W


Green Heron fishing


Green Heron in profile


Red flower


Water lily in a gently flowing stream


Water lily


Lego butterfly ... it looks like a heavily pixelated photo!




Water Lily - McKee Botanical Gardens (200m lens)


Water Lily - McKee Botanical Gardens (200m lens) ... same photo as above but edited to low saturation

5 comments:

  1. The water lilies are really beautiful! And I am glad that you showed a photo of the lego butterfly as I was wondering what they looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow We have all taken photos of Water Lillies at McKee but these are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran and Sheila, thanks for the comments. I have added two more shots of the water lily - actually same photo presented as taken and edited to low saturation. Which do you like better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the original, the brilliant color just blends into the water with the low saturation photo. I am glad that you are experimenting as I also enjoy your artistic abstract photos.

    ReplyDelete