Saturday, December 9, 2017

Cleaning the oven … and thoughts of my childhood 9th Dec 2017

Saturday 9th December 2017

Ever since the big passage there have been smells of burnt food on the boat whenever I light the oven. I think that when we were warming up Brian’s wonderful stuffed shells in bumpy seas during the passage we spilt some of the contents onto the back wall of the oven. So yesterday, in anticipation of Gloria’s arrival, I decided to clean the oven! It actually wasn’t as bad a job as I feared, but for reasons I’ll try and explain it did get me thinking of my childhood ….

I was lovely child. You don’t believe me? Just ask my mum! Actually, I suspect what she might say is that when I wasn’t wrecking the furniture, breaking windows or fighting with my sister, I wasn’t as bad as you might expect. Damned with faint praise. When we were naughty as kids it was my mum who maintained discipline, at least she was the one who gave out the “smack-bottoms”. I remember wind-milling around her as she held onto me with one hand whilst trying to smack me with the other and I vigorously tried to avoid contact. It’s a very vivid memory, so it must have happened more than once, but in truth, we very rarely got smacked – mostly just sent to bed, where we could expect a stern talking to from our Dad when he got home. One occasion that I do remember from my early childhood was being smacked for biting my sister Ali. I have no recollection of what she had done to prompt me to bite her, but I’m sure it was justified! I also vaguely recall an incident where I stuck the fire poker through the glass in the front door because Ali wouldn’t stop ringing the bell, but strangely I don’t remember any punishment! Ironically, I think the most cross that my mum ever got with me was when I was much older, maybe in my late teens. My Mum, Dad and brother had gone on holiday to Europe for three weeks and I stayed at home because I had a summer job and would look after the house. I guess I didn’t do a very good job of keeping things clean and tidy because when they came home she was really unhappy with the state of things. I was little old to be smacked but it didn’t save me from a good tongue-lashing! But, perhaps this had some impact because it's clear in my mind that when Gloria gets here the boat better be looking spiffy!


In the evening, I was delighted to see that “Numada” with Richard, Rafaella and their two boys Sebastien and Matthew had come back into the marina. I had a very pleasant evening with the four of them plus Richard’s parents at the Friday night barbecue at the marina Tiki Bar. Richard and Matthew also came by our boat this morning and I had a chance to take the portraits below.




Matthew - from "Numada". Three different expressions - within one minute - all shot with natural light in our main cabin


You forget how much energy young boys have!


One of the friendly crew from the Husky salvage team


Lizard

1 comment:

  1. Terrific portraits of Matthew. That's one stylish lizard. Where did you get the pin-striped suit to fit him?

    ReplyDelete