Monday, December 10, 2012

Shopping and lightning


Shopping and lightning—10th December 2012

I’ve been left in charge of the boat, the list of jobs that need doing and the blog.  I’m not sure all of this is going to get the attention it deserves.

My big accomplishment of the day was getting to Wal-Mart to buy some provisions for the trip to the Bahamas.  Most notable was the RV antifreeze.  We need this stuff for the watermaker.  Once we commission this device, we have to keep running it.  Once we don’t want to use it the membrane has to be stored in the antifreeze to keep all manner of bacteria from growing.  We are a bit concerned about getting this thing up and running.

This afternoon we had an incredible thunderstorm.  I must say I enjoy sitting next to a 59 foot lightning rod on such occasions.  When it rains in Florida it is really something.  I stepped out under the dodger to try to figure out why so much water was pouring down the companionway.  My t-shirt became sodden in about 1 minute.  I had to take it off and put on a dry one.  Each time it rains, I have to close all the hatches and portholes.  This makes the boat really airless and warm.  There are several portable fans on the boat that run off the 12V DC.  However, only one of them seems to work.  As you can imagine, I’m hoping we are done with rain for tonight.  Oh boy, here comes the rain again….

No comments:

Post a Comment