Saturday, August 25, 2012

The lobsterman and the doorknob …. Sat 25th August 2012



The lobsterman and the doorknob  ….  Sat 25th August 2012

The day got off to a great start when we were able to meet up for breakfast with our friends Cindy and Bob and their friends Gail and Marty. Marty has a Cape Dory 33 that he keeps up in Robinhood Cove and I was lucky enough to spend a day sailing with him and Bob last September. Gloria had never met Marty and neither of us had met Gail before, so it was great to get together as a group at the Bridge Street Cafe in Boothbay Harbor. By pure coincidence this turned out to be the day that they were catching the ferry to Monhegan for a long weekend that had been booked months ago - so it all worked out great. After breakfast Gloria and I took the boat over to the fuel dock and topped up with diesel and water. We still need more practice on those docking maneuvers - this wasn't horrible but it wasn't too pretty either! About 10.30 am we headed out of the bay and sailed (mostly) past Pemaquid Point and north east into Muscongus Bay, which  is not only beautiful, but remarkable for the number and density of lobster pots …. (more from Gloria another day).  We arrived and anchored in an idyllic bay outside of Friendship in the mid afternoon and took the dinghy ashore to walk around and take photos.
As some of you know I really like taking abstract pictures, and I'm particularly fond of rusty boats and stuff like that. Yeah  I know it's a bit weird but what can I say. Anyway I was wandering around when I was struck by brightly painted door on an old shed. I was just about to take some shots when along came a lobsterman to close up for the evening. He kindly let me take my "doorknob" photo and then the "lobsterman" obliged by having his photo taken in front of the painted door. The color as a backdrop was a bit much, but it seems to work pretty good in black and white. The resulting two photos are shown below. 
As these sun went down I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful places we have been to so far.

Mike



The Lobsterman                                                              The Doorknob


Under the boardwalk

3 comments:

  1. Heh Mike - those photos are great! Aaarrrgggh!!! Ive just spoilt tonight's reading by reading it this morning. It's 6.30am here and the two sleepy heads upstairs are not up yet!!! We're meeting up with Jonathan Vicki and Harrison (Abi having gone to "the Lodge" in Aviemore!!) and going to Chrshire Ice Cream Farm. Hope the weather holds out. I'm not used to this rain and all. It's lovely at home and we've not had serious rain for months as Martin can attest to as he watched me go flying over the rock solid ground when we went out for our trek thru rural Suffolk. Anyway I'll let you know how the day goes. Lots of love Ali x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,

    Hope all is well! I am a big fan of abstract photography; varying textures and proportions. What camera/lenses are you using? The colors in the pictures are incredible.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Top web site, I hadn't come across idlemendacity.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
    Keep up the superb work! Door Accessories

    ReplyDelete