Friday, October 2, 2020

God give me patience … and I want it now!

God give me patience … and I want it now!

Friday 2 October 2020

“God give me patience … and I want it now!” This was one of my mum’s expressions and she used it as an illustration of my lack of patience. She knew me well and I’ve not gotten better with age. I have to confess that parts of today have been “challenging my composure”. We have been trying to order a replacement cell phone for our daughter Tasha. Hers appears to have met an untimely end whilst out on a canoe trip. The first attempt to purchase a replacement failed when, after 3 days, Verizon canceled the order. It took a little time to figure out why they did that but we eventually found out that the store where Tasha was due to pick it up had sold the phone we had purchased the day after the order was placed. The second attempt was to have Verizon send a new phone directly to Tasha’s home … “free delivery within 2 days”. Well after two days there was still no tracking info available and it turns out the phone hadn’t been sent. This morning, for our third attempt, we secured a promise (and a confirmatory text message) that the phone would be dispatched immediately with priority overnight delivery. Alas, this evening still no tracking data and as it turns out the phone hasn't yet left the warehouse … so I lost it and flipped from mister charming to snarling Rottweiler. The lady on the end of the phone stayed remarkably calm, I could never work in customer service dealing with people like me! 

The rest of the day was much better. We motored over to East Greenwich Yacht club and filled up our water tanks. We finished the final coat of varnish on the toe-rail and the rain held off. Now that’s a bloody miracle! We met up with Laura and Steve in Roger Williams Park in Providence for a late lunch and ate a Thai take-away meal in picnic style and then went for a walk. On the way back to the boat we stopped at the supermarket and fished up our grocery shopping. So now I think we are pretty much ready for departure. I think this will be our last blog from East Greenwich, at least for this year.

Mike


The boathouse at Roger Williams Park, Providence RI (iPhone)


A fine marble building within Roger Williams Park (iPhone)


A leaf ... obviously!




No comments:

Post a Comment