Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Rod's Thoughts on the Passage

Our skipper, Mike has asked each of the crew to add a segment to the his blog "A Tale of Two Chemist".  This is my entry.

I'm Rod, Mike's brother-in-law.  I've been mentioned a few times in earlier blog postings.   I'm not sure that I can add anything to the narrative of the trip to Tortola that we just completed; as Mike has mentioned, a lot of it has blurred together in my mind.   Some blurring, no doubt, caused by lack of sleep. 

Instead of trying to add to the actual storyline of the trip,  I though I would add some of my thoughts on lessons learned during the trip.  Having been a sailor (of sorts) for over 30 years, I find that I am still learning about boating and sailing and being amazed, at times, by what I don't know.   So let me just kind of put out "bullet points"!

  • Anticipation is worse than the reality.   After listening to the seminars put on by the ARC organizers, I got more and more anxious about what might happen at sea.  We heard lectures on medical care, fire prevention, how to use signaling flare, and for me, lots of talk about seasickness.   I've never been seasick yet, but with so much talk about seasickness, I was beginning to think I should use some preventive medicine!   (I didn't and wasn't seasick).   By Sunday, Nov 5th, it was a huge relief to actually get started on the trip. 


  • Before the trip started, I repeated something written by a NY Yacht Club Member about sailing:  "Gentlemen don't sail to windward".   Is that ever true!  Try never to sail long distances to windward.  Its exhausting!   Every activity is a struggle and food preparation becomes a series of mishaps and accidents.   Simple meals, easy to heat, preferable in a pot, rather than in the oven (think heating up the cabin in tropics) are best.  Save fancy meals for when one is sailing downwind.   Or in port!


  • If one is anticipating a squall, ease the mainsheet, so a gust of wind doesn't round the boat up into an accidental tack.  Then feather the boat as the wind picks up and consider bearing off ahead of  the stronger wind if it persists.

  • The autopilot is your best friend, especially at night.  It is extremely easy to get disoriented while hand steering at night when there is no horizon or shore light to guide you.   One evening as I was trying to keep us sailing as close to the wind as I could, I accidentally hit the standby button on the autopilot.  The boat immediately rounded up and tacked, backwinding the jib.  I figured "no problem".  Toss off the old jib sheet, haul in the new working sheet and tack back.   By the time we got this done and, with no horizon to guide my steering (I was hand steering after the accidental tack),  we found ourselves headed downwind and needed to gybe to get back on course.   I should have used to auto pilot to lock us on a course after the tack, then used it to tack the boat back to the correct course.  The autopilot never gets disoriented! 

  • Don't  think you're going to get plenty of sleep.   I think Brian was the only one not to have trouble sleeping.  I should have taken naps in the cockpit more often as I found it hard to sleep below when it was warm. 

  • Bread can be made on a sailboat.  Just don't forget to grease the loaf pan!  


Sailing is all about learning new things.  One should never get complacent and think that there is no more to learn.   I want to thank Mike for giving me a chance to try something new and to learn new lessons.   

No comments:

Post a Comment