Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Not to Everyone’s Taste


Tuesday 28 November 2017


Am I weird? Well there’s a question that should provoke some comments! But let’s focus a little – I’m talking about my interest (obsession?) in photographing rusty old boats. To be even more specific, taking abstract photos of the incredibly varied colors, shapes and textures that make up the hulls of boats. OK, I admit it’s a bit odd, but when I walk around boat yards I see modern art all around me - sculptures formed in fiberglass, iron and bronze with delicately curving lines or striking angles; paintings often created by a combination of rust and weather on old bottom paint. I like to try and shoot from unusual angles and crop closely so the immediate context is lost and you are forced to focus just on the shapes and colors. As I walk round the boatyards here, trying to capture images of the destruction and recovery efforts, I can’t help but be drawn in to the abstract images. I know it’s not to everyone’s taste, but I really like that these mundane subjects can generate such wild looking pictures. So I guess the answer is yes – I am weird!

FYI - I typically adjust brightness, contrast, clarity and pay close attention to cropping - but I don't enhance or "paint-in" the colors, this is what the camera is capturing. Occasionally, as with the final shot here, I will use partial black and white to create an unusual effect.

















No comments:

Post a Comment