Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Michelle Obama Bicep


The Michelle Obama Bicep    ...    Thursday 8th Nov 2012

Bundling up in lots of layers seems to be the morning ritual; this morning was no different.  Once I had all my layers and foul weather jacket on, I went to look for my wooly hat.  It was not with my warm clothes nor was it to be found in my jacket pockets.  Extensive searching failed to turn it up.  Our assumption was that I must have left it in the shower room at Myrtle Beach Yacht Club.  Rummaging through the warm clothes bag, I found another warm hat.  We set off.  The Waccamaw River continued to traverse a lovely cypress swamp.  The further we travelled, the wider the river became.  Fortunately the current was favorable. Within 3 hours we were approaching Georgetown.  The anchoring off Georgetown is reported to be dodgy—poor holding.  After a few attempts we thought the anchor was set.

The next order of business was to get lunch together.  I pulled off my foul weather jacket and was about to take off my fleecy sweater when I realized that my left bicep was about twice the size of my right.  Even Mike was impressed! Inside the sleeve of my sweater was my missing hat.  Chaos reigns.  It’s nearly as inexplicable as the washing up cloth that was missing a few days ago.  Later it was discovered inside the fridge.  Spit happens on this boat.

Before going to shore we decided to set a second anchor.  We hadn’t tried this before.  In order to drop the anchor we launched the dinghy.  Mike motored forward with the anchor and anchor rode.  Once he got to a suitable spot he threw the anchor over.  Not having backed down on it we aren’t too sure if it is well set. Hopefully it will give us a bit more confidence, that we will find ourselves in roughly the same place in the morning

We walked around Georgetown.  It has a renovated waterfront and many historic buildings.  The people seem friendly and there are lots of cats, chickens and ducks wandering about.   In the past Georgetown was the rice capital of South Carolina, now it has a paper mill.  Earlier in the day the wind was taking the smell away from town.  With sunset the wind has dropped and we are ‘enjoying’ the smell.  It reminds me of Maine.

Gloria

33 21 50.6 N, 79 16 57.8 W


Bull Creek in the early morning


Bull Creek in the early morning


Feral cat


Reflections


Georgetown, SC waterfront


 Condos on the Georgetown Waterfront


3 comments:

  1. Well, these coordinates put you in the South Pacific -- boy, that wind picked up!

    It IS going to warm up this weekend -- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops ... Looks like I missed a 3 off the first number ! I'll go in and correct it. We are already noticing it's warmer. Have had a couple of wonderful days coming through the rivers and swamps of South Carolina.
    bye for now

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete