Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Now that's embarrassing


Now that’s embarrassing   ...   Wednesday 14th November 2012

We arrived in Beaufort, SC shortly after 3pm.  It had been a longish trip under gray skies at about 50 degrees with strong winds.  Not only was the weather daunting, but also the route was challenging.  We traversed many rivers, creeks and cuts with big currents and reported shoals.  All in all we felt that we had done well to complete this 40-mile trip.  After a cup of tea, e-mail checking and getting the outboard onto the dinghy, we went ashore at 4:30.  It was really too early to go to dinner so we spent some time checking out the menus at all the restaurants.  I was very indecisive so the whole process took quite some time.  Finally we settled on the Saltus Grill.  This place seemed pretty fancy but had an interesting menu.  Our server was an attractive woman in her early twenties.  She explained a few things about the menu and generally seemed very pleasant.  After we had consumed our first course, she appeared and said: “I have to ask you something—did you arrive on a boat?”  “Why yes!” we replied “how did you know?”  She replied: “It’s the smell.  It takes me back to my childhood.  I grew up on boats.”  She went on to say that her grandfather had established and run a marina in the area when she was growing up. 

Once she left the table, Mike and I started sniffing our clothes.  All I can picture is the character ‘Pigpen’ from the Peanuts comic.  He seemed to have this cloud around him, that I thought of it as a miasma.   Now I picture myself trailing this ‘boaty miasma’ behind me.  Oh dear…

Location: 32 25 45.9 N, 80 40 34.8 W

No photos today.

1 comment: