Friday, June 11, 2021

Dinghy Trepidation

Dinghy Trepidation

Friday, June 11, 2021

It has become a tradition to have our friends and family write a blog when they come and stay on the boat. Often this happens at the end of visit, sometimes requiring gentle persuasion … but Sheila jumped right in on day one and volunteered! 

It had been a tough year of not being able to see friends, having travel plans cancelled and being somewhat isolated.  So when Gloria and Mike called and asked me if I had any plans for the summer, and I replied that I did not, they asked if I would be interested in joining them on the Cotinga.  My heart skipped a beat!  This would be the chance of a lifetime to go sailing for a few days.  Still, I did not answer yes immediately.  I was a worried about having to use the “Dumb Dog”, the dinghy to get aboard the Cotinga, especially after reading blog after blog about it leaking, let alone the possibility of losing my balance and falling overboard. Both Mike and Gloria assured me that it would be fine; in fact, Mike sent me a detailed description of how they enter and exit using “Dumb Dog”.   Well, after some consideration, I followed my heart and said yes!  

After a train ride from Boston along the coast, followed by a ride on Sea Streak, a Catamaran Ferry out of Manhattan, I arrived at Atlantic Highlands and saw Mike ad Gloria on the dock waiting for me.   We took the dreaded walk to “Dumb Dog”, and I put on my life jacket that Mike suggested I bring with me.   Mike demonstrated the technique for entering it from the dock, and I nervously tried to replicate his moves.  It was a little scary to me, but I was successful. Gloria then climbed on and we rode it out to Cotinga, about a five-minute ride.  It was a little bumpy, but I felt safe.  Next, Mike explained how to climb aboard from the dinghy.  I watched Gloria and managed to get on board!  I did it!   

Next we sat and chatted and had wonderful conversation, as I had not seen them in over a year.  Mike prepared dinner, and as the blog readers know, Mike is an amazing chef, I think because of his chemistry background.  After all, what chemist does not enjoy cooking?  The dinner was wonderful.  We had a delicious mustardy salmon, risotto and cauliflower followed by splitting a small flourless chocolate cake that that I picked up from the Magnolia Bakery right at the Amtrak exit of Penn Station.  Well, I think it is going to be an early evening as Mike informed me that we are leaving at 4 am tomorrow morning to catch the right current to take us though the East River in Manhattan.  Good night from the Cotinga! 

Sheila

40 25.004 N, 74 01.302 W


Sheila hard at work writing the blog


Rainbow over Atlantic Highlands




2 comments:

  1. We’re at Clark’s brother’s overlooking East River, Gracie Mansion and the Roosevelt Island lighthouse. Sorry we were sleeping when you went by😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great visit. We were moving pretty fast as we went by Roosevelt Island.

    ReplyDelete