Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Grumpy!

Grumpy!

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

While my bed on the boat only has one side, I seem to have got out of the wrong side of it today.  We went for a walk on Daufuskie Island.  Once again we landed the dinghy at the public landing and set off on foot.  Today we walked along the main road (a paved road).  When we were in the vicinity of the Fire Station, Mike stopped to take some photos.  I was trying to ID a bird in the canopy above when a guy in a golf cart stopped to ask what I was seeing.  We got into a conversation about what could be seen on the island and where.  Mike wandered up just as this chap mentioned that there was a rookery near the beach that was one of our objectives on the walk.  Although his directions were a bit vague, I thought we would be able to find this place and see nesting wood storks, herons and egrets.  When we got to the beach, some miscommunication ensued. Mike said we should walk along the beach to the south to join the road we had walked on yesterday. I said I thought the tide was too high … what I meant was we would miss the rookery! I assumed that he was focused on his lunch and wanted to get to the other end of the island in the most expeditious manner.  I got a bit grumpy, Mike got a bit frustrated … all was resolved over an excellent lunch at Lucy Bell’s café.

Then after lunch and an expedition to look for wood ducks (failure), we returned to the boat.  The wind whipped up from the south and we were lying on a lee shore.  I couldn’t seem to settle down with our position and the wind that was gusting over 20 knots.  We decided to pull up the anchor and move more into the middle of the river. Now we both feel more comfortable, but I do think I should go to bed early and see if I can’t wake up in a better frame of mind tomorrow. 

Gloria

32 06.859 N, 80 54.439 W


Still waters at our anchorage on the New River, SC


Another beautiful road on Daufuskie Island


Palms and pines behind the beach on Daufuskie Island


Fried green tomatoes, barbecue pork bun and deviled crab with rice and collard greens - Lucy Bell's cafe



No wood ducks but we did see a few 'gators and turtles



Guinea fowl at the local community farm


Pink Flowers at the local community farm


Flag iris












1 comment: