Friday, April 2, 2021

Finished it this morning

Finished it this morning

Friday April 2, 2021

That would be our giant jar of peanut butter.  After eight months of diligent work, I got to the bottom of the jar.  It was a three-pound jar.  There is no need for worry on that score though as we have a second one of the same size. While I’m on the topic of size (in peanut butter jars) I have this question:  Why would you create a jar that was taller than the blade of a table knife?  Doesn’t it seem obvious that a very tall jar of something that you remove with a knife would be poor planning?  Consider the mess that could result from a twelve in tall jar of jam (for example).  When I rule the world—no peanut butter jar will be taller than the blade of a knife. That goes for jam too—although it seems that somebody figured this out already.

I found myself wondering if the calorie content of such a large jar of PB might go some way to explaining my un-svelte shape.  Consulting the “interwebs”, I found that an ounce of peanut butter contains 167 calories.  Making a pound of the stuff work out at 2,672 calories.  The mega jar topped 8 thousand calories.  While this is a LOT, butter itself has more calories per pound.  We’ve got quite a lot of that in the freezer....

The butter stocks may turn out to be a good thing.  This afternoon, Mike announced that he thinks we have inadequate provisions to make the trip up to Hilton Head—about two weeks of cruising.  The problem is fresh things like bread, milk and eggs (I think).  Here’s a new thing for me to worry about.  You can see why I was calculating the calorie content of the next three pounds of peanut butter!

After a nice (but chilly) walk around St. Mary’s this morning, we hauled up the anchor and motored over to Cumberland Island.  We tried to drop the hook in the same spot as we had used previously.  Tomorrow we will visit the island, then our plan is to start moving north on Sunday

Gloria

30 45.334 N, 81 28.553 W



It's fair to say that Gloria feels the cold ... but was this really a 4-hat day! (OK now I have to confess I forced her to add my fleece hat just for the photo)


A gorgeous sunrise in the St Mary's river


Attractive historic building in downtown St Mary's


The General John Floyd House (1830) in downtown St Marys


The Presbyterian Church St Mary's (It only took me 6 attempts with spell checker to get Presbyterian correct - I hate spelling)


A lovely home nestled below enormous live oaks. We chatted to the owners who used to live up in Massachusetts. There It was quite windy today and so not great birding, but we saw three new species to add to our year-afloat list at this house (house finch, blue grey gnat catcher and brown thrasher)






1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comments regarding peanut butter jars and butter knives; I hate getting PB all over the handle of the knife. My solutiion is to use a thin spatula in place of the knife; also works for those tall jars of Mayo!

    ReplyDelete