Thursday, February 1, 2018

Soufriere, Sulfur Springs and strange encounters … Tuesday Jan 30th 2018


Soufriere, Sulfur Springs and strange encounters  … Tuesday Jan 30th 2018

The weather certainly improved on Tuesday with hardly any showers. We jumped on a minibus in town and headed out to the “drive in volcano” as it is referred to locally or the “sulfur springs”. It’s only about a mile outside town but we it’s uphill all the way so we were happy we took the bus. What the boiling mud-pots, hot springs and sulfurous deposits lack in size, they make up for in smell! Soufriere is situated in a larger caldera created about 35,000 years ago, but at present volcanic activity is limited to this area. Scientists do monitor constantly because there is a concern that more significant activity could return. Interestingly, the Petit and Grosse Piton, which are both about 2500 feet high, were formed 250,000 years ago from solidified magma chambers inside the volcano a long time before it collapsed to form the caldera. We opted not to pay extra and bath in the smelly springs and coat ourselves in black mud – it seemed like dubious attraction to us, but based on the crowds lining up, many people took a more positive view! We enjoyed walking back down to town, with great views over the harbor.


Later in the afternoon we had a lovely walk out along a coastal path and were surprised to meet someone I knew from the past. I looked up to say hello to this hiker and recognized his face. I said “I know you” and he looked blank and clearly had no idea who I was. It didn’t help that I couldn’t place how I knew him. His name is John Wilcox, and after chatting a bit I figured out we were both grad students at Emmanuel College, Cambridge in the early-mid 1980’s. I actually think we might have lived in the same house for a while, but afterwards wondered if this was really true. It is almost 35 year ago and I thought I did pretty well just recognizing him! This stuff is always happening to me … I bumped into my brother in Innsbruck, Austria, purely by chance; I met the girlfriend of a friend of mine on the platform at Athens train station, and whilst working for AZ in Boston, was involved in a licensing meeting where the external company scientist turned out to be the older brother of a schoolboy friend. I guess it really is a small world. Why is it that I never forget a face but can rarely remember someone’s name five minutes after I’ve been introduced?



Soufriere Sulfur Springs


Verna - our tour guide (required)


Soufriere



The streets of Soufriere


Street sales of fruit and vegetables - usually excellent quality


A lot of guys hanging around - these two were very friendly and happy to have their picture taken



No comments:

Post a Comment