Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The benefits of a workshop—23 June 2015

I never really thought of my sewing room in terms of a workshop.  Monday afternoon when Mike went out for a sunset cruise on the Ruth, I decided to get out that sewing machine.  After the previous experience, I did have some trepidation...

Once the machine was all set up and plugged in (but not turned on), I pulled out the squares that I had worked on previously.  I realized that the edge I needed to sew along wasn’t very straight so I thought I’d best straighten the edges before starting to sew.  Then came the search for a ruler. Nearly everything had to come out of the chart table before a straight edge tool for chart plotting came to hand.  The next item I needed was a marking pencil.  That required a full rummage through the box of sewing items that I brought on board.  You start to get a picture—the boat is definitely not the “room of requirements”.   In my “workshop” at home the cutting mat and rulers are to hand on the large, flat sewing table.  The rotary cutter is right there with the mat and marking pencils. The machine is set up and ready to go at a moments notice.  The iron and ironing board are two steps from the machine.  Sewing on the boat is a different sort of experience. 

Having said all, that the forecast for today is more rain and thunderstorms (aren’t we lucky), so I plan on more sewing. If I can make a bit more progress, I’ll get Mike to take a picture of what I’m working on.  It’s more traditional but interesting.


Well, the forecast certainly delivered the promised thunderstorms and heavy rain.  In fact after a nicer interlude in the late afternoon we are starting to hear thunder again.  It might be a wet night.

Gloria

Postscript: I had a great time taking photos on Tuesday morning. First a trip to the dock at Anna's restaurant, just about a mile north of here. It gave me an opportunity to to shoot more panoramas and to take a couple of portraits of fishermen that I met on teh dock. (I think I'm going to try and build  collection of panoramic shots while we are up here.) Then I went over to Fort Popham on the Kennebec River. We visited here last year, but this time I remembered to take my tripod. There are some great shots to be had in the gloom of the archways - but you really need the tripod. I played around taking some abstract shots using long exposure - part stationary and part zooming the lens in and out. All of this whilst it bucketing down rain, thunder and lightning and blowing a gale. It was dry inside the fort and pretty much all over by the time I got back to Sebasco Harbor!


The dock next to Anna's restaurant - Sebasco village


View northwards from the dock at Anna's restaurant - we cruise down this channel on the "Ruth" scenic tours


Robbie - a local fisherman


Robbin - a local fisherman


Stacked pots on the dock


Floats - easier to spot than the painted Clorox bottles!


Kennebec River from Popham Fort just after the worst of the storm had passed


Popham Fort



Popham Fort with visitors


Popham Fort abstract 


Popham Fort abstract

No comments:

Post a Comment