Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Rod flies back to Rhode Island

Rod flies back to Rhode Island

Tuesday 10th November 2020

We were sad to see Rod depart this afternoon. It’s been great having him stay with us and travel down the coast over the past week or so. We managed one last walk on the beach in the late morning and a quick lunch from a local sandwich shop and then it was time for Rod to jump in his Lyft car and head out to Wilmington airport.

Amongst other things we have to thank Rod for is giving us the reason to explore Wrightsville Beach. We have passed through Masonboro Inlet a number of times and anchored behind the barrier island of Wrightsville Beach either prior to or after an offshore passage, but we’ve never stopped long enough to go to shore and explore. It turns out to be a lovely area. The beach itself is spectacular and the whole experience has no doubt been helped by the warm, sunny weather we have these past few days.

I personally have been enjoying taking low light photos around the piers and late this afternoon I went back to the large concrete fishing pier to try and capture some complementary shots to those I took yesterday morning at Crystal Pier. For photo competitions it’s often an advantage to have a set of images rather than just one shot and I’m starting to work towards a collection that might be called “Under the boardwalk”. 

Mike

34 12.383 N, 77 48.020 W



The fishing Pier - Wrightsville Beach


The fishing Pier - Wrightsville Beach


The fishing Pier - Wrightsville Beach


Later afternoon on Wrightsville Beach


Paddle Board in the surf - Wrightsville Beach





3 comments:

  1. Love the title:”Under the boardwalk”.

    Head south carefully for, as you know, ETA is traversing Florida and will skirt the Carolina coastline.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I love your photography. You've inspired me to learn more about long exposures. I don't understand how you did the rotated picture of the lighthouse.
    You might find this video interesting
    https://youtu.be/GHCGcM_HGAw
    I think it was done with a telephoto lens from a long distance, so the size of the lighthouse is roughly equal to the moon. I thought that the speed might be altered, but when I looked up the Byron light house, it flashes every 15 seconds, so the video is real speed.
    I'm David Anderson's Cousin. He's been in touch with you about Tasha possibly joining a grand canyon trip we're planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan, thanks for the comments and the link. I will check it out. My 70-200 mm lens has a collar to mount it to a tripod and that allows me to rotate the lens and camera whilst it’s on the tripod. That’s how I did the Fresnel lens shot and more recently the shrimp boat abstracts. Your Grand Canyon trip sounds amazing. Good luck! Mike

    ReplyDelete