Sunday, November 8, 2020

A Lazy day … No Way!

A Lazy day … No Way! 

Sunday 8th November 2020

As I write this I’m hearing comments such as “I’m tired”, “my legs hurt … I’m a cyclist, not a walker”, “can I take a nap”? From this you might surmise that we took on a serious hike today. Well not exactly! We started the day with a leisurely cooked breakfast (quesadillas with eggs, bacon and green peppers) and then re-inflated the dinghy and went ashore. There’s a convenient dinghy dock about 2 minutes away from our anchorage that gives access to the barrier island part of Wrightsville Beach. We decided to take a walk along the beach, which was lovely. The weather was warm (low 70s F) and it was a beautiful sandy beach with excellent public access. There were lots of people sunbathing and a few swimmers and surfers. There seemed little chance of catching covid-19 with a 15-knot breeze off the ocean. When we reached Crystal Pier we stopped for lunch at Oceana, eating outside on the deck. Then we wandered along to the end of the barrier island to the Masonboro inlet where we had sailed in the previous afternoon. I have to say it looked quite spooky with lots of surf hitting the breakwaters. Of course when you get to the end you have to walk back and now we are all a bit tired. To be honest I think that has  more to do with the rigors of our sailing the day before than the walk we did today.

On the way back Rod and I did a “manly” job at the small grocery store near the dinghy dock. We picked up a variety of locally brewed cans of beer … and failed to get anything else on the list! Gloria asked if we had bought a loaf of bread … like for breakfast … err, no just beer. I felt so guilty that on returning to the boat I made a loaf of Irish soda bread (which is quick and easy). We’ll see how that turned out tomorrow. Overall I think it was a fairly lazy day but I don’t think Gloria and Rod would agree!

Mike

34 12.383 N, 77 48.020 W


Crystal Pier Wrightsville Beach




Wrightsville Beach from Crystal Pier


Gloria and Rod - Wrightsville Beach


Sanderling


The northern breakwater of the Masonboro Inlet - the breakwater actually protects the inlet better than it appears in this photo and it is a deep water entry - it's much safer than many of the other inlets on this section of coast. Yesterday we heard a discussion with the Coast Guard on the VHF radio involving an overturned vessel in the Carolina Beach inlet (a few miles south of here) in which 4 people ended up in the water and one of them unconscious.




No comments:

Post a Comment