Friday, October 26, 2012

The right decision?


The right decision?    …    Friday 26th October 2012

24 hours ago I thought we might regret not heading on to Beaufort. I have just checked the latest forecast and where we are, 20 miles to the north west of Beaufort they are predicting wind gusts up to 60 knots on Sunday. Whatever it turns out to be here, I suspect that it will be worse at the coast and I'm happy we decided to stay. We spent the day "battening down the hatches". We doubled up on our lines to the dock, wrapped line around our mainsail cover and tied up our genoa, to ensure that neither of these come lose. We are in as safe a position as is possible, in an enclosed basin tied up to a sturdy new dock. We've met some great people here - all in the same situation and it's comforting to know that we'll be in good company. Gloria did our laundry this morning and I cycled back to town to pick up a few additional groceries. I'm trying to put up a few photos from each day and I'm really enjoying having the time to spend on photography, but today the only shots I took were of a snake that had unfortunately been run over on the road - it seemed really sad. It's quite hard to take photos every day that you are happy to show. I recall reading about an outstanding wildlife photographer called Jim Brandenburg who got fed up with people saying to him the only reason he got good photos is because he took so many. So he set himself the goal of taking one and only one photograph every day for 90 days - and published the book "Chased by the light". This was back in the days of film and I can't imagine how hard that must have been - his pictures are amazing - and I don't think he was shooting roadkill. Anyway, we'll see what sort of photo opportunities the storm brings over the next few days.

Mike

still at ….  

35 31 55.3 N, 76 37 24.5 W



Snakeskin



Snakeeye

No comments:

Post a Comment