Wednesday, October 24, 2012

River Dunes Harbor Club and Marina


River Dunes Harbor Club and Marina   …   Wednesday 24th October 2012

It was hard to imagine today that we have bad weather on the way. The air was warm and the sky was blue and vast as we crossed wide expanses of open waters in the Pamlico and Neuse Rivers. For now our emphasis has definitely changed from trying to make good distance to ensuring we are in the safest place when Hurricane Sandy passes up the coast. Today there were a number of locations that we could have anchored, but we felt we had to check out the River Dunes Harbor Club and Marina. The Waterways guide describes it as a "must stop" and we had personal recommendations from other sailors we talked to. So we left Belhaven some time around 9am and had a very peaceful 40 mile trip. The genoa went up and down more often than I can count as we tried to make the most of the light winds, but more than anything this was a day where we just felt lucky to be where we are. We arrived at the marina at around 3pm and were immediately impressed. For $1 a foot (i.e. $46) you get a fine dock in a protected basin, with beautiful surroundings, access to club house, outdoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, weights room, showers and laundry. To give some comparison, we were quoted $3.50 a foot in Annapolis …. but declined. We spent some time at the pool / jacuzzi and then headed for the showers. I had been taking photos of Gloria swimming so I arrived at the shower block with my camera gear, but as a result of poor planning, no soap. What kind of wierdo arrives for a shower with a camera and no soap!? Anyway, I can't say it was the greatest shower I ever had , but just as I was finishing I spotted a  tiny frog on the wall and because I had my camera with me I was able to get some reasonable shots. We plan to spend at least one more night here and explore the local area on our bikes, the re-assess the forecast and decide whether to hold up or move on to Beaufort. 

Mike

35 05 03.3 N, 76 36 03.3 W



A shrimper out on the Neuse River


Pool waters



Gloria in the Marina Pool


Shower Frog



No comments:

Post a Comment