Thursday, October 19, 2023

Ticking off the boat jobs

Ticking off the boat jobs


Thursday 19th October 2023


I had hoped to do more varnishing today but the weather forecast showed a high probability of rain, so I gave up on that plan. I did manage to switch out the davit lines and this has made a huge difference. The original lines that came with the davits seemed oversized and very stiff, making it difficult to lower the dinghy. The new lines (5/16” compared to 7/16”) seem to work much better. I also did some stainless steel polishing and cleaned the windows, a pointless job as they just get salted up again as soon as we go sailing, but for now they look much better!


There is a “King Mackerel” tournament taking place today and tomorrow, with much activity in the marina. I asked one fisherman if the King Mackerel tasted good … “not really” was his reply … so why not fish for something that tastes better?


On the cooking front I have had some success and some failure. Yesterday I cooked some Carne Asada (courtesy of Trader Joe) and ate this with salad, which turned out to be awesome. I also made bread and butter pudding, one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I put the pan on the lower shelf of the oven, right above the burner, and whilst the pudding was fine, the bottom of the pan got so burnt that I had to throw it away. I won't make that mistake again. This evening I made chicken piccata, which was excellent, if I say so myself.


Not much else to report. Overall it’s pretty quiet. I did meet an English guy outside the showers yesterday. He had come into the marina the night before and was just off for a quick shower before heading out again. He was single handed on a sailboat, an impressive feat in itself; the fact that he does this having apparently lost both legs seems amazing. How did he lose his legs and how did he manage? I would loved to have talked to him some more, but sadly never got the chance.


Mike



Fisherman with King Mackerel


My version of chicken picatta ... with chicken, asparagus, garlic, capers and lemon juice ... it was yummy!


A damp day in Morhead city yacht Basin ... you can see the masking tape below the rail, and also above and below the teak pin-strip on the side of the cabin. The dinghy now hangs from those fabulous new davit lines!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike - what's this about a storm hitting Antigua? Looks like your master plan is well thought out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I'm watching Tammy closely. Looks like Antigua could take a direct hit ... I'm just hoping it's not too intense (i.e Cat 1 and not higher). The weather forecast for the next 10 days looks dismal !

    ReplyDelete